Saturday, August 31, 2019

Topic Brainstorm

(The Big Dipper: by Creative Commons)

Idea I: How the Moon Came to be 

The stories of the Moon are endless and are open for creativity. This topic stuck with me after reading stories such as The Man in the Moon and the Rabbit in the Moon. I enjoy learning about space and I am excited to dive into topics about the Moon. I want to learn about what astronomers and other scientist have discovered as facts and utilize story to tie those facts together in a creative way. Concerning the style, I want to make the story for children. I will use simplistic language, imagination, and answer questions a child would ask about the Moon. Some questions to answer are: what is on the other side of the moon, what are the dark spots of the moon, why does the moon orbit earth, and how was the moon made? 

Current folklore of the Moon and current news on what is on the dark side of the Moon:



Idea II: Where Amelia Earhart Has Gone

In the past few years I have fell in love with aviation. Throughout the last three years my boyfriend has been working on his Private Pilot degree, and has subsequently taught me just about everything he knows about aviation. I have a love for physics, so aviation is absolutely fascinating to me. One of the great pioneers in aviation is Amelia Earhart. She set many world records and was the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. While she was making an attempt at a circumnavigational flight around the world, she disappeared along with her navigator. There are many conspiracies surrounding what happened that caused the disappearance. I would like to utilize some of these stories and create a new one. Again, I adore children's books, so I would use simplistic language, imagination, and definitely make a happy ending.

Conspiracies of Amelia Earhart's disappearance: 



Idea III: Tiger's Foster Child 

I am interested in this topic because the Jungle Book was one of my favorite movies growing up. The idea of children being raised my animals provides endless stories and imagination. This topic specifically came from the story Tiger's Foster Child, but I would also utilize the Jungle Book. The main change I would make will be the length of the story, I will extend it and add more detail. I may also change the Tiger to Polar Bear and the location to the Arctic. The possibilities are endless. I want to keep with the basis of the story and follow the same story line for the most part: child is abandoned or taken, animal finds child and raises it, child can no longer stay with the animals, and the child goes home. 

Animals raising children:



Idea IV: Greek Constellations 

Greek mythology is a big interest of mine as well as space. I would like to learn about, and be able to identify, constellations in our sky. When creating this story, I would break it up into several stories about different constellations and their creation. Some ideas I have for constellations to focus on are: The Swan (Northern Cross), The Lyre (Harp), The Pleiades (Seven Sisters), Ursa Major and Ursa Minor (The Big Dipper/Bear and The Little Dipper/Bear), and Delphinus (Dolphin).  I am not sure how I would change the stories, but I would most likely change the entire story while keeping the characters the same. I would like to stay true to the constellations and how they originated, but create a story filled with magic and imagination for each one. 

Other Constellation Resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment