Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Week 6 Lab

Writers Write Notes:


10 Dialogue Errors to Avoid at All Cost (link)

  • This article was really eye opening to me. One of the tips the article provided was to read your story out loud. I actually want to add to this tip. If you get super distracted (like me) and you lose focus while reading out loud (uhh definitely me), you can copy and paste your story into Microsoft Word. There is a function on there that will read the paper out loud. That was you can sit back and just listen. If something sounds off, go in and fix it! The other tips in the article really focused on characters and their dialogue. I will definitely come back to this because of that. I really struggle with making dialogue sound natural. It will definitely take some practice, so I will need to play around with it some more. 


20 Myths to Use as Writing Prompts (link)

(20 Prompts for Writing Myths by Writers Write)


  • While this article may not prove helpful for my storybook, it will definitely be a great source of ideas for other stories. The article is pretty short and list 20 great questions. By brainstorming answers to these questions, a great story may play out! I remember reading someone's story in this class. In the story they explained why snow has this wonderful connotation to it, but thunder and lighting are loud and scary. This writing prompt list has several prompts just like that (including those three too)! My favorite is creating a story on why flowers lose their leaves. 


7 Things to Avoid When Writing for Children (link)

  • Since I am writing a children's book for my storybook I just had to read this article! I am glad I did too. One of the biggest things I kept changing in my storybook stories were the bad guys. I would just remove the bad and the sad because I didn't think that would be good for children. The article reminded me about literally all of the villains in every childhood movie and book. The bad guys emphasis the good guys. I will have to rethink some of my stories because I definitely think it is good to add a villain after this article. The article also said things like:
    • Don't make them wait for the excitement/ don't drag out the beginning
    • Don't preach 
    • USE PICTURES
    • And don't underestimate them

No comments:

Post a Comment