Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Reading Notes: China, Part A

Notes: China Part A


(The Dog and Cat: Hendrik Hondius)

Here are a few of my favorite stores from all of the readings:

The Cave of Beast:

  • Why was it important that the daughters did not tell each other?
  • Did the father know the mom gave them the eggs?
  • Did the mom not go try to find her daughters?
  • Why duck eggs? 
  • Did the wolf and fox die?
  • Why are the wolf and fox friends?

Why the Dog and Cat are Enemies:

  • Interesting story, but slightly confusing
  • What happened to the rat?
  • Who had the ring?
  • Why did the cat not tell them about the dog, how would it?
The Silk Worm Goddess
  • Woman was in depth to horse. Father kills horse. Horse hide wraps up woman and she becomes a silk worm. 
  • Silk worms are cultivated in Spring and the stallion is the zodiac of the Spring. 
  • How was the horse able to live?
  • Why did the father not let the horse marry his daughter?
  • Why did the father leave his daughter?
Overall, I was not as captivated by the stories as I thought I would be. Many of them did not make any sense to me what so ever. Especially on the why. Why certain things occurred versus not confused me quite a bit. If I were to retell these stories I would definitely focus on the questions I have listed above. I may even write a story the occurs before one of the readings. This may aid in the explanation. 

My favorite story was why the Dog and Cat are enemies, but it still left me confused. If I were to retell the story I would just add to it. If I wanted to set up the story, I would focus on where the ring went. Maybe even explaining the first time the daily got the ring. 

Bibliography: 

Chinese Fairy Tales Part A by Donald Mackenzie. Website: Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook

No comments:

Post a Comment