Sunday, September 8, 2019

Feedback Strategies

Thoughts on : 5 Reasons to Stop Saying Good Job (link here) and How to Provide Great Feedback When You’re Not In Charge (link here

(The Importance of Feedback: by Feedback Padlet)

These two articles were highly informative on how to give good feedback to both children and adults. For children I was unaware about the dangers of a "good job." I am still unsure how I feel about the article. I did like how the goal of feedback for kids should be to encourage their growth and push them to be more independent. It also explained different alternatives that spark a intellectual conversation with the feedback. Overdoing "good job" can definitely create a habit in kids and encourage that they should only get to a certain point and then they need approval. With that said, if it is not overused it is a great way to encourage kids to keep going. 
 
I have always struggled giving feedback to my superiors because I am cautious that I could offend them. The article How to Provide Great Feedback When You’re Not In Charge (link hereaddressed this with three feedback types/strategies: application, advice, and evaluation. The appreciation type reminded me of how beneficial feedback that has a positive tone is. By using gratitude, you are providing feedback. On part that really stick out to me was how to give advise. An example would be saying something like this: this worked pretty well for xyz, what do you think about trying abc next time to improve the results even more. It seems beneficial and more encouraging. Evaluation is not a great tool for feedback, but taking the fall first is. By putting yourself in the hot seat and create the atmosphere for coaching and improvement. 



No comments:

Post a Comment