Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Reading Notes: Aesop (Winter) Part A

Notes: Aesop (Winter) Part A


(The Dogs and The Hides: by Milo Winter)

Reoccurring or Interesting Characters:


[possible character or character story I would like to use in future are highlighted]


Kid: Young goat who is foolish initially and then outsmarts predators to survive. 

Wolf: A strong predator who thinks it is stronger and smarter than all others. 

Fox: Similar to the wolf. Is a wanna be trickster, but typically is deceived by prey. 

Dog and Dolphin: A loyal protector.

Ass: Foolish and stubborn. In attempt to cheat or take easy way out, typically makes situation harder or puts itself in harms way.

Wheel: "complains the loudest, but suffers the least"

Lion and Bear: Prideful and probably the strongest out of the characters. Values itself highly. 

Insects (gnat, fly, grasshopper, etc): Pesky, annoying, and always end up thinking they are going to benefit from a situation that will kill them. 

Monkey: Clown and uses the situation to its advantage. 

Wild Boar: Spends time preparing for the worst.



Lessons I would like to use:

You are judged by the company you keep.

We cannot expect any one to share our misfortunes unless we are willing to share our good fortune also.

Do not resent the remarks of a fool. Ignore them.

Do not let flattery throw you off your guard against an enemy

Do not depend on the promises of those whose interest it is to deceive you.

Do not stop to argue with temptation.




Likes:


  • The Wolf and the Kid, The Wolf and the Lean Dog, The Dogs and the Hides
  • How each character that was used had specific characteristics to its animal that were used in multiple different stories.
  • I liked how to the point these stories were and the variety of messages they contained.
  • They were easy to comprehend and quick to read.
Dislikes: 
  • I do not like the multiple stories and how they switch in comparison to one long story overall. I could lengthen a story and use that for each page or even having the same story told twice (by two different view points/ characters).

Overall:

I loved this collection of stories more than I thought I would. It is definitely insightful for possible projects in the future and it has given me a wealth of possible stories to recreate. In this case I will utilize the characters and their personalities, along with the lessons told, to create my own story. My favorite story by far was the The Dogs and The Hides, but only because how cute I thought it was. I did not enjoy the lesson. With that said, I may utilize a similar story and change the lesson and the outcome slightly, possibly a never give up kind of lesson. I will have to do more brainstorming on that! 


Bibliography: 

The Aesop For Children: Winter, translated by unknown, located from UN-Textbook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment