Monday, October 28, 2019

Extra Credit Reading Notes: Why Dogs Growl


(An Agressive Wolf Puppy by Creative Commons)

Hi there! 

So I highly suggest looking through the home page of UN-Textbook to find some awesome extra credit readings. The stories are all so great and so hard to choose between! So why did I pick Why Dogs Growl? Well I am getting a puppy in a few months and I would love to know exactly why it will growl;) Haha just kidding. I love stories on why things are the way they are. It will be a great story to share with my friends and family too (all dog lovers)!

Lets jump it!

First off, the word helpmeet is used a lot. I had no idea what this meant so I used trusty google to save the day. Helpmeet means a helpful companion. Typically a husband or wife. I believe it is supposed to actually refer to Eve though. Correct me if I am wrong. 

But back to the story, Adam was essentially surrounded by a bunch of animals with partners. God decided to give him a partner. So, God cut out a rib from Adam and set it on the ground. The dog at cat were growling and the dog snatched the rib. God took the rib back and cut off the dog's tail. The dog has been growling ever sense. 

So time for a little creativity. I would change a lot about this story. First off, you could make this story longer and more detailed. Here are some questions I have that need answers

  • Why do some dogs have tails now?
  • What was the first dog?
  • Why did God set the rib down?
  • Why did the cat not grab it?
  • Why cut the tail off the dog?
  • What happened to Eve?
There are too many questions that need answers. If I retold the story I think I would ditch most of it. Maybe keep the part about Adam. Overall, not a great story, but it could be fun to change it up!


Bibliography:
Why Dogs Growl from African American Folktales by Richard Dorson. Found on Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment