Monday, October 21, 2019

Reading Notes: Alaska Legends, Part A




(Blue Jay by Wiki Commons)


Hey there!

So, to be completely honest my mind is going a million different directions, so trying to focus on this reading was extremely difficult.

Overall, this reading was about the Raven who created the world as we know it. It was very similar to the first part of the bible (genesis) in style and content. It is written in third person and moves quickly from one subject to the next. In the reading the Raven is the creator.  The Raven creates people, birds, tides, and everything in between.

My favorite part was The Naming of the Birds. I thought it was awesome. My favorite bird is probably either a blue-jay or a humming bird, so it was cool to read about a culture's idea of them and their purpose. If I do a story this week of this reading, I may want to just focus on the hummingbird or blue-jay. In case I do, here are the links I may find useful:





  • Humming Bird
    • "In legends, Hummingbird is often portrayed as a healer or as a spirit being who helps people in need, and sometimes plays the important mythological role of fire-bringer. Seeing a hummingbird is a sign of good luck in many Native American tribes, especially Northwest Coast tribes
  • Legend of the Humming Bird


I have visited Alaska pretty recently so I appreciated this reading a lot. I am hoping to be able to focus a little better on part B and take it in more.

Bibliography:
Alaska Legends Part A edited by Katharine Berry Judson. Website: Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook

No comments:

Post a Comment