Thursday, October 31, 2019

Week 11 Story: Why The Deer Has Horns

Why The Deer Has Horns

(Red Deer by Wiki Commons)

Long ago animals would come from near and far to battle in games. These games could sometimes be winter agility games or summer endurance games. The winner of these games would receive a wonderful prize for their family.

One year a team of two elephants won a tug of war against two lions and earned tusk.

The polar bear earned its white coat after winning a game of hide and go seek with a chimp.

Another year the cheetah outran a wolf and earned spots.

One of the greatest prizes ever given was a pair of horns. The game was very simple. Run as fast as possible and leap over any obstacles. First one to the finish line wins. This game required an ability to jump high and maneuver through the thick brush.

There were only two animals left in the competition, one would win the games. The two animals were the deer and the bunny. Both had out run their competitors easily. It was going to be a huge match up!

Before the race started the bunny asked if he could go look at the finish line so he was aware of its location. He blamed his short memory for forgetting. The animals decided that was fair and let the bunny go. After several minutes, the animals grew worried the bunny was in trouble or lost. They sent a hawk to search for him. 

When the hawk found the bunny, she saw that the bunny was clearing a path under the brush! The hawk flew back and told the animals of the cheating scandal. The animals were in disbelief and extremely upset. So upset, that when the bunny returned they could hardly say a word. 

The animals finally told the bunny that they knew he had cheated, and he was disqualified. It was quite the scandal in the animal kingdom. The bunny stormed off and the deer was given horns. This is why the deer has horns!

Author's note:
Hey guys! Thanks for reading my story. This story was actually inspired by one of my extra credit readings, How The Deer Got His Horns by James Mooney. To create my story, I simply added another dimension to the original. I added the annual games. These games were inspired by the Olympic games! That was honestly the only big change, but I feel like it added a fun flare. I would love to imagine all the animals coming together and competing together. It would be awesome to see the most talented animal in the world! Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this story! 

Bibliography:
Myths of the Cherokee: How The Deer Got His Horns by James Mooney. Retrieved from Un-Textbook. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Camille, I thought your story “Why the Deer Has Horns” was great. I have the read a few stories that are set up similar to this. I think that this style of writing is interesting because it tells a story of how something we never think about came to be. In this instance why the Deer has Horns. I think your author’s note did a great job explaining what your goal of the story was! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I love the concept of your story. I like how the animals battled amongst themselves, instead of humans against animals. I like the changes you made to the original story. I went and looked up the original and like the concept of games that you added. I found it funny that the bunny was cheating and got in trouble at the end. I don’t know why he would do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Camille!

    I really loved this story! The addition of the games as an annual competition was such a clever idea, and it really adds a great new layer to the story. I was a little disappointed at the end, having wanted to see the rabbit and the deer race, but I suppose that's how the other animals felt as well! Also, if you'd like an imagining of what it would have looked like if the rabbit won, I'd recommend googling "jackalope" and checking out the images!

    ReplyDelete