Sunday, November 3, 2019

Extra Credit Reading Russia: Part B, The Fox-Physician

(Fox by Wikicommons)

Hi there guys!

So this story was very unexpected and quite jaw dropping to say the least. So get ready for a trickster fox and a dynamic plot.

Summary:
There was an old man and woman who planted cabbage. The old man's cabbage grew really tall...like to the sky. Actually, to the heavens. So, this old man climbs all the way up to the heavens and is super pumped. He comes back down and gets his old woman and throws her in a bag to take her up. They get halfway and he accidentally DROPS THE BAG. Aka....she dies. Oh but no fear because a fox physician is there to save the day. He tells the only man to give him oatmeal, butter, and her body. The fox demands that he should be left alone in a bathroom. The man waits outside while the fox "saves" the old woman. Well does he save her?.........Well......he eats her. Yeah. Plus this fox eats the oatmeal and butter. So, now the man is wifeless, foodless, and poor. The fox gets away.

What was my initial reaction?

(Screaming Hamster by Eurokek)

Was I surprised?
Okay to be honest I was expecting a trickster story because it includes a fox, but I was not expecting it to be that tragic. It was also kinda random in my opinion. Like why did they plant cabbages? Why did the old man not let his wife climb up herself? It is just a lot of whys. So, yes I was surprised by the ending and I wish it would have ended happier.

Would I retell?
Probably not. While yes it does contain a fluffy cute animal.....the animal eats someone and I just don't know if I vibe with that. If I did retell it I would be taking that part out. Maybe the fox would actually save the day. Who knows, but this story is not high on my retelling list.

Bibliography:
Russian Folktales: Russian Fairy Tales, Part B by W. R. S. Ralston. Retrieved from Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment