Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Extra Credit Reading Notes: How The Deer Got His Horns

Hello!

So I read How the Deer Got his Horns for some extra reading. After skimming the UN-Textbook I found this story to be my favorite!

First off it is so dang cute. I love stories about animals. I may even retell this story at some point! Regardless, the two main characters are a bunny and a deer.

Both the bunny and the deer are great at jumping and running very fast, so they decide to race. The prize is horns. The bunny ends up cheating by clearing a path. Due to this, the deer ends up winning by default.

Can you imagine if the bunny won? Think about what a bunny would look like with HORNS. That is crazy.

If I was tech savvy I would include a picture of a bunny with horns, but I am not. So please look at this picture of a bunny and imagine horns on it.

(Bunny with Invisible Horns: by Creative Commons)

What made this story so great in my opinion was its simplicity. It was not overcomplicated or cluttered with language or wordy sentences. It was easy to read and short. The message was clear: cheaters never win. Plus it was something any age could enjoy.

If I retold this story it may be fun to learn how to make a picture of a bunny with horns. I would have to really go through some tech tips though. Maybe watch a video on how to do it. I could change the story up to where the bunny would win. This story has endless possibilities! I hope I can retell this story. I guess we will find out next week!

Bibliography:
Myths of the Cherokee: How The Deer Got His Horns by James Mooney. Retrieved from Un-Textbook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment