Thursday, November 7, 2019

Reading Notes: More English Fairy Tales, Part B

(Young Lassie on a Fish by John D. Batten)


Hey there!

When I was reading through the stories in part b of the More English Fairy Tales unit, I stumbled upon a story called The Stars in the Sky. If you have happened to visit my blog before, you may know that my project is called Star Stories for Children! So, obviously I was super interested in reading this story.

I was hopping to get some great new ideas, especially for the conclusion. This story really helped me imagine being a kid again and running around in my vivid dreams. So for the conclusion of my story I really want to speak to that. I still want to keep it as the reader is the traveler, but maybe set a tranquil mood where Vela can explain what happened and send the reader off into a dream.

As for the notes on this story, I want to focus them on the little details that may benefit my story, or I may practice retelling this story to get ready for the conclusion!


  • A girl wants to see the stars and goes on a wild goose chase to find them
  • She ask many people, but she never sees them
  • She is told to go on a horse and then on a fish
  • The fish drops her off at stairs, but she can't seem to get to the top where the stars are
  • She falls of and hits the water and cries
  • She wakes up in bed wailing all alone

Some ideas:
  • Make it a happy ending where she does find the stars! Maybe even Vila and link my story haha;)
  • Make it a young kid who climbs many things to visit the stars.
  • For my story I would love to have this same kinda story in the conclusion, but focus mores on the ending. Vela will drop the reader off in bed and the reader will wake up to the sun rising. 




Bibliography:
More English Fairy Tales, Part B, The Stars in the Sky by Joseph Jacobs. Retrieved from Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment